The Big Hurt is a multi-sport race that includes four legs:
* A 15-mile mountain bike that takes place in the foothills above Port Angeles
* A 2.6-mile kayak in Port Angeles Harbor
* A 30-mile road bike that goes west out of Port Angeles and crosses the Elwha River and visits Freshwater Bay, as well as the lower parts of Kelly Ridge on Dan Kelly and Eden Valley Roads.
* A 10K Run, out and back on the Olympic Discovery Trail along the waterfront
Participants can race solo in Iron Division or as a relay team. Team Division Categories: Regular (3-4 team members), Masters (3-4 team members all age 50+), Tandem (2 team members), and High School (high school students age 15 and up - can include one adult team member). Participants must be 15 years old, but please check out Little Hurt, our event for 4th-9th grade students.
The prices of the event are:
January 1 - June 30:
- Iron Division (Regular & Masters 50+): $90
- Teams: $60 per person
- High School Team: $30 per person
July 1 - August 31:
- Iron Division: $95
- Teams: $65 per person
- High School Team: $35 per person
Sept 1 - Sept 24:
- Iron Division $100
- Teams: $70 per person
- High School Team: $40 per person
Team captains - Register and create a team, then start inviting team members to join! (*team members can change later - the original team member who is dropping out will be refunded the entry fee, but not the RunSignUp processing fee)
A portion of event proceeds is donated to the Peninsula Trails Coalition, a local non-profit organization dedicated to the construction, maintenance, and promotion of the Olympic Discovery Trail and Olympic Adventure Trail.
YOU MUST REGISTER BY SEPT 1st TO BE ASSURED A T-SHIRT IN YOUR SIZE. No changes to t-shirt sizes can be made after Sept 1st, and you cannot exchange sizes at the race.
There are no refunds for participant-initiated cancellations. Transfers to another person are allowed. We do not anticipate cancellation except under extreme circumstances, but if we do need to cancel, participants will receive a free transfer to the following year, or an 80% refund.