2021 Cal Tri Lake Perris - 10.17.21

Lake Perris State Recreation Area
Perris, CA 92571-7018


Registration Powered by RunSignUp

Event Description


2021 CAL TRI LAKE PERRIS - 10.17.21 is located entirely within the 8,200-acre Lake Perris State Recreation Area (SRA).  Athletes will swim in the same waters that will be used as part of the 2028 LA Olympics canoe and rowing competition.  It is in close proximity to several major population centers including Anaheim (55 miles), LA (70 miles) and San Diego (90 miles).   

RACE COURSE.  Athletes are responsible to study and know the course.  The sprint course is a 400-yard swim, a 12.5-mile bike with 560’ of elevation, and 5K run.  The Olympic course is a 1,640-yard swim, a 24.8-mile bike with 1,065’ of elevation, and a 10K run.  

SWIM.  The triathlon begins with a seeded, rolling, swim start underneath the Blueseventy arch into the clear water of Lake Perris.  Wetsuits are allowed but not required.  Athletes will proceed into the water two at a time at an interval of every 3 seconds.  Sprint athletes will swim 400 yards and Olympic athletes will swim 1640 yards.

BIKE.  The counterclockwise bike course loop is entirely inside Lake Perris and has a bit of everything including some stunning views of Mount San Jacinto .  It is 60% closed to vehicular traffic with the remaining 40% open to traffic.  Athletes are reminded to ride to the right and pass on the left and be cognizant of their surroundings.

NO PASSING ZONES:  There are 2 no passing zones areas before and after the Lake Perris Dam at the 1.5 mile and 4.1 mile marks.  The switchbacks from the 1.5 to 1.9 mile mark are technical and must be respected.  Cyclists who ride to conditions and at a reasonable speed typically have no issues versus those who are overconfident in their bike handling skills and may find themselves in the bushes.  A word to the wise should be sufficient.

Sprint athletes complete 1 loop and Olympic athletes complete 2 loops.  Police are positioned at key intersections to give cyclists the right away.  Volunteer course marshals are also staged to provide an additional level of support.  

RUN.  The run course is a simple out and back 5K run loop that mostly parallels the lake.  Sprint athletes complete the course 1 time and Olympic athletes complete the course 2 times.  Aid station support is available every mile.

14 RACE OPTIONS.  Triathlon, Triathlon Relay, RunBikeRun, SwimBike, SwimRun, Swim & Run at both the sprint & Olympic distance.  Events that include a swim begin at the beach while the RunBikeRun & 5K/10K begin at the Cal Tri Events arch at the finish line. 


Event Location & Accomodations

Connect on Social