Go outside and do things! Explore the trails with us this winter in our 11th annual Rocks and Roots Winter Trail Series in January and February! Choose from distances of 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K, or 50K at both dates. Opt to run just one of the races, or sign up for both races and receive the Trail Package, which includes our RnR Hoody, Feetures Socks, and a Handheld Water Bottle! Keep reading to learn more!
For 2023 our events will be held on Sunday, January 15th and Sunday, February 19th. We are again partnering with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to put on our annual trail running series at Alum Creek State Park. Just like in the past you have the option to sign up for 2 event dates and a WIDE variety of distances, on the only trail in Ohio built for runners, by runners, the Rocks and Roots Trail at Alum Creek!
What – 10K, 20K, 30K 40K & 50K Trail Racing Series
When – For 2023 our events will be held on Sunday, January 15th and Sunday, February 19th. Both races start at 8:00 am. Again this year we are starting the race in waves. Wave start times listed below.
- 50K/40K/30K Start – 8:00am
- 20K Start – 8:15am
- 10K Start – 8:30am
Where: Rocks and Roots Trail at Alum Creek State Park. The start of the race is located just off of Hollenback Rd and just south of the dog park(3993 Hollenback Rd Lewis Center, OH 43035). Watch for yellow Fleet Feet arrows pointing you in the right direction!
One entry fee gets you entry into both events on the Trails!! Plus, you get:
- Trail Running Package! (COMES WITH SERIES REGISTRATION ONLY)
- 1 hooded sweatshirt (unisex/mens sizing)
- 1 Amphipod Handheld Hydration Bottle
- 1 Pair Balega Socks, 2 gels/bars from CLIF!
- (Trail Running Package is limited to the first 300 who register for the entire series)
- 5 distances to choose from
- 2 unique event shirts (gender specific sizing)
- Finisher Medals to all participants.
- Belt Buckle to double 50K finishers!
- Not sure you can commit to both races? You have the option to sign up for each event individually! But, you don’t get the Trail Running Package 😦
- Individual Events (Shirt/Medal Only, Trail Package NOT included)
- $55 – Through September 30
- $60 – October 1 through November 30
- $65 – December through December 31
- $70 – January 1 through Race Day
- The Series (Includes both race dates and the Trail Package!)
- $105 – Through September 30
- $115 – October 1 through November 30
- $125 – December 1 through December 31
- $135 – January 1 through Race Day
Please note: The Rocks and Roots Trail Series has a NO REFUND and NO BIB TRANSFER policy for all events.
The Course: The Rocks & Roots Trail Series is aptly named as there are a LOT of rocks and roots. You will encounter stream crossings. Rocks & Roots are likely to be covered by leaves, snow, and or mud!
There will be at least one water crossing depending on course conditions! Please walk and run only on marked trails. Running off trail, including just off to the side of the worn path, damages the ecosystem, and causes unrepairable damage to the trail.
The course is comprised of two 10K loops held primarily on single track trail. Runners will run the north and south loops in a figure 8. 1st loop runs to the NORTH loop and is run clockwise, 2nd loop is run SOUTH and is run counter-clockwise. Repeat as necessary! Loops are repeated as necessary based on selected race distance.
Aid Stations: Aid stations will be located at the 10K loop start/finish, at 3.5 miles on the south loop, and the 10K lap point, and around 9.5 miles (3.5 miles into the north loop). Aid stations will be stocked with water, Gatorade, Clif Shots, Clif Bloks, and other delicious treats as determined by our amazing core of volunteers! And of course, we will have our world famous chilli waiting for you at the finish line… or before you start each 10K loop if you’re brave enough 😉
Drop Bags: We will have a tent (or two or three) designated for drop bags located at the 10K loop start/finish, and can be accessed after completing each loop.
Cut-Off Time: The course closes for 50Kers at 4:00pm (8 hour limit – 15:27 pace for 50K). All 50K participants must begin their 4th lap before 1:00pm. All 50K participants must begin their 5th and final lap before 2:20pm.
Packet Pickup: Two separate packet pickup dates for each event.
- January event – January 12th-14th at Fleet Feet Sports (1270 E Powell Rd, 43035)
- February event – February 17th-18th at Fleet Feet Sports (1270 E Powell Rd, 43035)
- Race day – Starting at 7:15 a.m. No trail running package pickup. Shirt and bib pickup only!
Parking: Parking can be found in the lots surrounding the start/finish area.
Training Runs: Join our Rocks & Roots Trail Runners for fun, FREE group runs at EVERY Thursday night at the Rocks and Roots Trail! You’ll get a chance to preview the course as well as check out the new sections as we are building them! Click here for dates and locations!
Fit For Life Physical Therapy is proud to be the Official Sports Medicine Partner for the Scioto Miles Race Series
Fit For Life will be providing on-site medical coverage for the race weekend. They will be on site before the race if you have any questions, and will be there all day to take care of you as you continue your run, and of course, they will be at the finish line to help you celebrate.
If you wake up Monday with a new ache or pain, Fit For Life Physical Therapy is the place to be. All race participants will have access to Free NormaTec Compression Boot treatments and Free Injury Screens all day at our Lane Avenue and Polaris locations. Please call 614-981-1979 for more information.
Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsors: If you are interested in being a sponsor please e-mail email@example.com