On August 28-29th, 2021, Equal Access Birmingham (EAB), a free medical clinic run by medical students from the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, is hosting the 7th annual Heart + Sole 5K Run in order to raise money to further our mission -- to provide free medical care, medication, and health education to medically uninsured or underinsured residents of Birmingham. We staff two clinics each week, occurring on Wednesday evenings and Sunday afternoons. We also hold a monthly Mental Health Clinic. EAB strives to promote health and wellness in the Birmingham community.
We anticipate at least 300 runners and their families to participate. All proceeds will be used to support the operations of Equal Access Birmingham through the EAB Gift and Endowment Fund. Feel free to gather with family & friends and choose one of the provided 5K routes below to take part!
UASOM students may sign up with their Learning Community and compete against other Learning Communities for fastest 5K times and most participation.
Here's how it'll work:
- Register ahead of time online from this website. Online registration will remain open through August 28th.
- Run or walk a 5k (3.1 miles) route or distance of your choice where you feel safe; fun 5K routes are listed below! Ask your family and friends to join you, and create your own mini-event. You may even run/walk on a treadmill!
- Take plenty of photos while running the race or after completing your run - especially with your race t-shirt or other UAB gear! Be sure to upload to social media with the hashtag #EABHeartSole5k.
- Congratulate yourself on supporting Equal Access Birmingham and being active in the community for a good cause!
- UASOM Students may join us for our 5K afterparty on August 30th at noon on the Volker Patio to pick up t-shirts and free Chick Fil A!!
EARLY BIRD DEADLINE AUGUST 12th
To ensure you receive your t-shirt by race day, order by 11:59 p.m. on AUGUST 12th! Early bird pricing includes a $5 discount. T-shirts will be available for pick-up at Volker Hall before race day.
EAB holds a dual mission: 1) to provide high-quality health care to underserved and vulnerable populations in Birmingham, and 2) to provide enriching service learning experiences for medical students and other health professional students. This is all made possible by your support! To donate: either use the platform included in race registration or follow this link EAB Online Giving to the UAB Giving platform.
SUGGESTED 5K ROUTES: