Experience the immense beauty of Colorado while conquering climbs, crawls, carries and traverses -- just don’t let the scenery distract you from sticking that spear throw.
The mountain is calling! The town of Breckenridge sits at an impressive 9,600 feet above sea level, and it only goes up from there. For Spartans, that means an opportunity to test athletes of every caliber -- from the newcomer to the seasoned Pro. From the moment Spartans arrive at the venue to when they reach the highest point on the course, they will be treated to captivating views of the Continental Divide and monstrous peaks at every corner.
Current Spartan Race World Champion Jon Albon speaks highly of Breckenridge having flown from Europe specifically to race at the venue. On his blog he writes, “Breckenridge is an amazing place; surrounded by snow topped mountains, the views are spectacular and the activities to do, plentiful. We found great trails right from our hotel and could have spent hours at a time exploring -- if we felt we had the energy.”
Given not only the natural beauty of the course, but also the difficulty of increased elevation, this race draws many Spartan Pro Team members, as well as other notable names from the obstacle racing community. Prepare to be star-struck.
TOP REASONS TO TAKE ON THIS COURSE:
1. This venue has the highest starting point of any Spartan course across the globe.
2. Breckenridge Brewery is right down the street from the venue and offers up some micro brews that will satisfy your tastebuds.
3. How often can you run a course where there’s snow on the ground, yet it’s still warm enough to enjoy?
4. There’s plenty of space to stay within walking distance of the venue. Stay at the Beaver Run Resort and you might be lucky enough to have a view of the course from your room.
5. Breckenridge in the summer is a outdoor-pursuits dream destination due to the number of nearby activities.. Hiking, fly-fishing, mountain biking, boating and whitewater rafting are all popular choices.
6. Test your knowledge of the movie “Forrest Gump” by visiting the famous Bubba Gump restaurant close to the race venue.
7. Breckenridge is extremely child-friendly with many parks and camps for the kids to enjoy. So make this a long weekend with the family. While you complete another step towards your Trifecta, they can play at one of the many facilities in the area.
8. If you’d like to relax after the race, there’s a broad scope of shopping and nightlife in Breckenridge. The added bonus of the beautiful scenery is always welcome, too!