COASTAL CAROLINA UNIVERSITY TRIATHLON
300 YD SWIM 9 MILE BIKE 3.1 MILE RUN
SUNDAY APRIL 2, 2023 7:00 am
TRIATHLON REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Coastal Carolina University is hosting its 27th annual triathlon, open to all students, faculty and staff as well as the general public. After a 3-year hiatus due to COVID & course issues we are finally back!
This is a sprint triathlon that consists of a 300-yard swim, an 9 mile bike and a 3.1-mile run. The course takes place on the campus of Coastal Carolina University and the surrounding campus community.
Event details and schedule
Friday, March 31 at 12pm online registration closes.
Saturday, April 1 Packet Pick-up - WB Swimming Pool (105 Independence Dr, Conway) 4pm-5pm.
Sunday, April 2
Packet Pick-up WB Swiming Pool begins at 6am. Pre-race meeting 6:50am Pool deck (must be bodymarked, with chip on). Post-race awards immediately following last triathlete (WB Outdoor Patio)
ARRIVING RACE MORNING - PARKING: All participants should be on site no later than 6:15am to check in - get bodymarked/timing chip, set up your transition area and be on pool deck for 6:50am pre-race meeting. Parking for the triathlon will be located in the parking lot adjacent to the Williams Brice Recreation Center, in front of the baseball stadium and football stadium parking lots. There is no fee to park in these lots. If there is an athletic event that morning, you will need to move your vehicle immediately following the race.
RACE DAY REGISTRATION is available, but t-shirt is not guaranteed.
Packet pick-up will be available at the Williams Brice Recreation Center Swimming Pool, (105 Independence Drive, Conway) Saturday, April 1 from 4pm-5pm. You can use this opportunity to check out race course, ask questions and pick your race bib & t-shirt. You will be required to check in race morning to pick up your timing chip & get body-marked.
Packet pick-up will be available race day at the Williams Brice Recreation Center at 6:00am. All participants must be body marked with timing chip on before 6:45am and in pool area for pre-race meeting at 6:50 am. Race starts at 7:00am.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: Bikes, Helmets, Swimsuits, goggles, towels, running shoes and appropriate clothing are the responsibility of the participant. CCU does not provide these items for the participant.
Helmets must be worn on the bike leg of the race. Beware of “speed bumps” on campus for those using a road bike. Individuals may use a mountain bike however, awards are only given to overall mountain bike winners, others will be included in the age group awards.
If you are a CCU student/faculty or staff, there may be availability to rent a mountain bike/helmet for the race, but supply is limited. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a bike/helmet to rent out.
For additional information, please contact Tara Josey, email@example.com or 843-349-2815.
- SWIM: Participants will swim a 300-yard swim in the CCU 25-yard pool (6 full laps – down & back in each lane before moving to the next lane) Due to single file swim start (fastest to slowest), you must indicate on your online entry form your estimated swim time so that you may be placed in the appropriate swim heat. (Please be as accurate as possible for your swim times.)
Both relay teams and individual swimmers will be placed in line according to your estimated swim times. Each swimmer will enter water single file in lane six and work your way to lane one for the swim exit. One full lap is done in each lane before ducking under to the next lane to start the next lap. If someone is hitting your feet, stop at the wall and let them pass. DO NOT PASS in the middle of the lane. This can cause injury! Chip time begins when swimmer crosses the timing mat before entering water. Enter water approximately 20 seconds after the swimmer in front of you. Jump in feet first after you have heard the beep of your chip crossing the mat. If you rush, your time may not be captured and time may not start.
- T1 (Transition 1) Swim exit will take triathletes to the outside pool patio, where they will run down the sidewalk and enter into the transition area – you must run across the mats and follow path in order to get your correct times. You must cross the mat BEFORE you mount your bike at the T1 exit. Once you come to University Blvd, you will take a left and head across the street into Quail Creek neighborhood.
- BIKE COURSE: The bike course will be a 9 mile course through Quail Creek neighborhood for & around campus for 2 loops, and back to Independence Drive for the T2.
- T2 (Transition 2) Enter from Tom Trout Dr and then turn right on Independence Drive on your bike and follow course to enter the far end of the transition area to rack your bike. YOU MUST dismount from the bike and run across the timing mats to get your time. Please dismount and walk/run your bike in to your rack.
- RUN COURSE: Runners will exit transition with their bib numbers displayed in front. Immediately turn right onto University Blvd. At the traffic light, take a right into campus on Chanticleer drive West. Continue all the way around the campus loop. Run with loop in and round the GG parking lot on campus and then return back the same way you started. Finish line will be on Independence Drive.
There will be a pre-race meeting outlining all rules and course procedures on race day at 6:50 am. All participants must be there to participate. It is the responsibility of the triathlete to know the course and know where you are going. If you have a question, please ask!
POST RACE FESTIVITIES/ AWARDS
We invite you to hang around for post race munchies while you wait for race results. Awards ceremony will be immediately following the race.
Top 3 Places Overall Male and Female - Road Bike Division
Top 3 Places Overall Male and Female - Mountain Bike Division
First Place Overall Relay team division
Top 3 individual M/F in the following age groups:
19 and under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60 - up