From the time he was two years old, Landon Hull loved to ride bikes. Whether zipping around the neighborhood on his first two-wheeler, tearing up the BMX course at the ripe-old age of six, or duking it out on the trails at NICA or enduro races, one of Landon's true happy places was on his bike. He was known for taking the holeshot; he was admired for his grit and drive.
But it wasn't just about the bike--it was about the community. He LOVED riding with other people. He LOVED cheering his teammates and brother on at races. And he LOVED cheering people on, in general. Even when he was hurting.
Losing Landon to suicide was a shock to so many. Coming together as a community can be a part of our collective healing. Coming together to celebrate something that Landon loved to do just makes sense.
This inaugural Landon's Light Memorial Mountain Bike Race is about supporting each other, spreading Landon's light and love, and helping us all see that we are not alone. And it is about raising money for the Landon's Light Memorial Foundation...an organization his family has started to award scholarships to college students pursuing careers in mental health & wellness fields of practice. Just like Landon had begun as a freshman at Montana State University.
This race is more than a race. It is an event that will include:
- 3 course length options (approx. 4, 8 and 12-mile race distances)
- Epic, Landon-inspired podium awards (HINT: "Eat That Horse!")
- Best-Costume and Best Cheering Squad prizes
- Hull Shot (holeshot) awards for each race
- 2021 Santa Cruz Tallboy raffle
When you get to the registration page, choose the race length* that feels most appropriate for you.
If you have questions, reach out to Kimmelin for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
*men/women will start 30 seconds apart for each race
If you want to VOLUNTEER at the race, go here to sign up.
** REGISTRATION DEADLINE**: August 10th
Due to the single-track nature of this race course, we recommend a minimum age of 11 years for all racers.
1. If you can, ride your bike to this event!
2. If you can't ride your bike to the event, please consider carpooling with others to decrease the number of cars needing a parking spot.
3. If you can't ride or carpool, PLEASE DO NOT park in the private Bridger Orthopedics/Surgery Center/Bridger Ear, Nose & Throat parking lot!
Parking for Landon's Light Memorial Mountain Bike Race is located in the public parking lot across Ellis St., next to the softball complex, and on Ellis St., where legally allowed (check for signs).
We are using the Highland Glen trails for this event through the generous permission of Bozeman Health (landowner) and Gallatin Valley Land Trust (land steward). Please help us take care of this special place by only riding on established trails, and leaving nothing but fond memories behind when we leave (ie. leave no trash).
Also, please remember that Highland Glen is a public trail system. We will have signage alerting community members about the event, to decrease the volume of non-racers on the trails. But we can't officially close down the trails to public use. Please keep an eye out for other community trail users during your race.
ACTS OF NATURE AND OTHER UNFORESEEABLE EVENTS:
While unlikely, it is possible for circumstances to arise which are beyond the reasonable control of the race organizers. Such circumstances that pose a health and/or safety risk to race participants, volunteers and spectators, may prompt the race organizer to postpone, reschedule or cancel the race. Such circumstances might include:
- A decline in air quality due to wildland fires (AQI > 150)
- Communicable disease/public health emergencies
As a registrant, you will be notified as soon as a decision to postpone, reschedule or cancel the race is made. Notifications will be sent via email. At that time, you will be given the option to:
- Receive a full refund of your race registration fee (minus RunSignUp administrative fee)
- Roll over your fee to a postponed or rescheduled race
- Donate all or part of your registration fee to Landon's Light, LLC (Landon's Light Memorial Foundation)