The 30th annual Rotary-sponsored Tinman Sprint Triathlon, 5K Run & Walk, and Kids Triathlon with Tricycle Race takes place at the beautiful California State University campus in San Bernardino at the base of the mountains. But this is not an ordinary Tinman. This year we ask you to join us in San Bernardino to show the world that we stand strong against terrorism after last December’s attack. The event is dedicated to those lost and will also honor the heroes and survivors with a brief Memorial Program at the start line and a Memorial Exhibit in a quiet area. All participants will receive a Memorial shirt and finisher’s medal. Rotary will donate a portion of the race proceeds to reputable organizations providing assistance to survivors and family members that lost loved ones.
Event details and schedule
- The Tinman Sprint Triathlon and 5K race will begin promptly at 7:00am on Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 7:00 am with a 3.1 mile run around the beautiful CSUSB campus, followed by an approximately 9.0 mile bike that includes one challenging uphill grade that beginners can walk, and finishes with a refreshing 150 yard swim in competition pool (6 laps). Tri teams are welcome. Challenged athletes will find excellent accommodations on the course and “lifts’ into and out of the pool. Bike helmets are required.
- There are three Kids Triathlons offered for children not ready for the triathlon, increasing in difficulty from easiest to hardest, so parents can select the one that is appropriate to their ability. These races begin at 9:00 am after parents have completed the triathlon or 5K allowing them to assist children to participate in their own special event. Suggested for children 5-12 but there are no firm age limitations. Note that parents will not be allowed to accompany children on the run or bike portions of the Kid’s Triathlon, but there be trained adults helping them along the way. If your child requires assistance in the pool, please be prepared to enter the pool to aid them. Lifeguards will be on duty throughout the swim. Bike helmets are required.
- The Tricycle Race begins at 9:15 am. This is a loop race that takes place on a flat paved surface which is ideal for preschoolers ages 2 and up and children not ready to compete in the easiest Kids Triathlon. Bike helmets are required.
- When you reach San Bernardino, take the 215 freeway to the University Ave exit. Go north and within minutes, you see the Cal State campus. Turn right on Northpark Blvd and watch for the Coyote Drive entrance on your left. Turn there to park your vehicle. Allow sufficient time to purchase a 1-day parking pass from the kiosk or you will be ticketed. Look for signs there that will direct you to the Registration Area and bike corrals located nearby. SAME DAY REGISTRATION, packet pickup and the bike corals will open at 5:30a.m. For your convenience, EARLY PICKUP will also be available on Saturday, June 25th from 3:00-6:00 pm at the Registration Area. Large course maps will be on display and detailed maps are also available on the rotarytinman.org website.
- Awards in the TinMan Triathlon and 5K will go three deep in age categories. There will be no awards in the Kid's Triathlon or Tricycle Race so every child is a winner.