Join us for the Tour de Acton sponsored by Incycle.
Join your fellow PAA riders and friends for a big, challenging loop along some of the most beautiful roads in the Angeles National Forest. Back by popular demand (same route as December 2014 ride), the route will be a tough, but rewarding day in the saddle. We will climb up to Clear Creek from Descanso, then head out along Angeles Forest Highway to Mill Creek Summit. Once over the summit, we head down Aliso Canyon to Soledad canyon Rd. and back to Sand Canyon, MOST OF THIS SECTION IS DOWNHILL (see Strava course profile), then there are two short climbs, to Bear Divide and Big Tujunga, before the return along Foothhill to Descanso, this has some climbing, but we're mostly done! (View ride sheet for EVERY SMALL ROAD we'll be taking)
For those wanting to do less miles and climbing you can skip the big loop and turn around at any point PARTICULARLY MILL CREEK SUMMIT,
We thank our Sponsor InCycle for their support of this PAA Club Supported Ride.
SAG Support: 2 SAG vehicles will be on hand to provide water, bananas, product, and other goodies. There will also be another wonderful PAA CSR lunch provided! SAG Plan still in developement. Stay tuned and we will send out the detailed info again before the ride. (SAG may or may not be available for those turning around, so plan to stay with a group or be prepared to be on your own).
Please note that there is limited phone service on much of the ride and the SAG vehicles cannot be everywhere! Riders should carry the tools and supplies necessary and be prepared to do minor repairs (e.g., changing a flat).
Riding Groups: 2 main pace groups will depart from the ride start — "endurance" 7:00 am and "race teams" 8:00am. Unless you are a very strong climber or racer looking to push the pace on the climbs, we encourage you to start with the earlier group. 3rd group may choose to turn around earlier.
Ride Coordinator: Julie Hale (914) 462-6745
CSR Lon Bender (323) 854-5803.
SAG 1 Food/Hospitality. Nora Hipolito (310) 740-3977
SAVE LINK FOR UPDATES ON INFO ABOVE.
- All riders should be prepared to do minor repairs on the road (e.g., change a flat)
- Due to the challenging nature of most club supported rides, groups will invariably split up and form en route depending on riders' levels of fitness, training goals, etc.
- For your safety, please wear a helmet while riding.
- Inclement weather may result in a change of the route or cancellation of event.
- Guests welcome, but must RSVP, donate $10 to help cover SAG costs, and read the waiver shown below.
- Distance: 82 mostly beautiful miles with lots of climbing
- Elevation: 8600'
- Difficulty: 8-9 (out of 10)
- Route Map: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28670639
- Route description: Descanso Gardens -ACH to Angeles Forest Hwy Over Mill Creek Summit to Aliso Cyn to Soledad Cyn to Sand Cyn Up to Bear Divide - Little Tujunga down to Foothill; back to Descanso. NOTE: Detailed ride sheet and Map INCLUDE SOME SMALL other roads on route. - This is an overview of the course.
- Departure Time(s): 7am Endurance riders; 8am Race teams/very strong climbers
- Departure Location: Descanso Gardens, 1418 Descanso Dr, La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011
PASADENA ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY
In consideration for participating in and by his or her participation in any events for, organized by, through, or in connection with Pasadena Athletic Association, a California non-profit corporation (“PAA”), or any other physical activity in connection therewith (collectively, “Events”), the undersigned (the “Participant”) freely agrees to the provisions of this Waiver and Release of Liability (the “Waiver”).
1. Participant understands and acknowledges that cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. Events and related activities, whether Participant participates as a rider, official, coach, mechanic, volunteer, spectator or otherwise, may involve the risk of serious injury, including death or property damage. Participant fully assumes all risks associated with participating in Events, including, but not limited to: dangers associated with man-made and natural jumps; the dangers of collision with pedestrians, vehicles, other participants, and fixed or moving objects; the dangers arising from surface hazards, including pot holes, equipment failure, inadequate safety equipment, use of equipment or materials provided by PAA, the Event organizer and others, Participant’s own negligence and weather conditions. Participant forever releases, waives, covenants not to sue and discharges PAA and its directors, officers, employees, affiliates, successors, members, coaches, participants, volunteers, sponsors, instructors, representatives, agents and assigns (collectively, the “Releasees”), from all liability to Participant and/or Participant’s personal representatives and heirs, and agrees to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Releasees against any and all losses, damages, liabilities, deficiencies, claims, actions, judgments, settlements, interest, awards, penalties, fines, costs, demands, expenses, and attorneys’ fees, including but not limited to those relating to or arising from any injury to the person or property of Participant, liability arising from the Participant’s death, deformity, personal injury, property damage, theft or actions of any kind that may hereafter occur, all to the maximum extent permitted by law (collectively, “Losses”), whether caused by the negligence or more culpable act or omission of Participant, the Releasees, other Event participants, or otherwise relating to, arising from, or occurring during Events (collectively, “Indemnified Claims”). Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Waiver, each Releasee may defend an Indemnified Claim with counsel of his or her own choosing and without the Participant’s involvement. If a Releasee assumes control of the defense, the Participant shall reimburse the Releasee promptly and periodically for the costs incurred in defending against the Indemnified Claim (including attorneys’ fees and expenses), and shall remain responsible to such Releasees for any other Losses. Participant shall give prompt written notice to Releasees of any proposed settlement of an Indemnified Claim. Participant may not, without Releasees’ prior written consent, settle or compromise any claim, or consent to the entry of any judgment regarding which indemnification is being sought this Waiver. Participant acknowledges that this Waiver is a contract with legal and binding consequences and applies to all Events.
2. Participant agrees that he or she is personally financially responsible for any medical
attention, including first aid, needed or requested during Events or resulting from any injury during or in
connection with Events, and releases and forever discharges PAA from any Losses which arise or may
arise on account of any such medical attention.
3. Participant will comply with all stated terms and conditions for participation in the Events, including, without limitation, any rules provided by PAA, its coaches, volunteers, instructors and sponsors, and Events officials and sponsors. Participant will wear a helmet that protects against serious head injury and assumes all responsibility and liability for the selection of such a helmet and any maintenance, modifications or attachments thereto. Participant agrees to continually ride and otherwise participate in the Events so as to avoid endangering oneself or others.
4. Participant consents to any pictures, videos, recordings or voice likeness to appear in any documentary or promotional materials of the Releasees and without any compensation to Participant.
5. Participant consents to the release by any third party to Releasees and their insurance carrier the name and medical information that may relate solely to any injury or death arising from participation in the Events.
6. PARTICIPANT HAS READ THIS WAIVER AND FULLY UNDERSTANDS ITS TERMS AND CONTENT. PARTICIPANT IS AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND ACKNOWLEDGES THAT SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS ARE SURRENDERED BY AGREEING IT, AND DOES SO FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY.
7. Participant agrees that the above representations are contractually binding, are not mere recitals, that this Waiver is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by law and that if any portion of this Waiver is held invalid, it is agreed that the remaining provisions of this Waiver shall continue in full force and effect.
8. If Participant is under the age of 18 (a “Minor”), Participant’s parent or guardian represents that he/she is, in fact, acting in such capacity, consents to the Minor’s participation in the Events, and agrees individually and on behalf of the Minor to this Waiver. Participant’s parent or guardian releases, waives, covenants not to sue, and discharges the Releasees from all liability to the Minor and his/her personal representatives and heirs, and agrees to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Releasees against any and all Losses, including those Losses which may be imposed upon Releasees because of any defect in or lack of such capacity to so act on behalf of the Minor and parents or legal guardian.
Notice Address: c/o Polsinelli LLP, 2049 Century Park East, Los Angeles, CA 90067