The unique, challenging and incredibly fun sport of Speedgolf is coming to Sacramento on Monday, November 4th, 2019, for the first annual Sacramento Speedgolf Open! Join us for the adventure of your golfing lifetime in this 18-hole Speedgolf tournament where your score is a product of strokes + minutes! (e.g., shooting an 80 in 60 minutes gives a Speedgolf score of 140.)
Players tee off at five-minute intervals (seeded by running speed) and complete their rounds safely distanced from other players. Hole scores will be tallied by volunteers at each green and your time will be recorded when you finish the round.
The tournament offers an amateur division open to all players (please be fit enough to play 18 holes in 90 min or less--that's a jog/fast walk pace; or choose the 9-hole event for a comfortable foray into Speedgolf), as well as a professional division to attract some of the world's top players. Cash purse TBA based on participant numbers, as all tournament revenues will go toward the professional purse. More purse details forthcoming promptly.
Please direct all questions to tournament host brad"@"bradkearns.com. Please do not bother the Bing Maloney Golf Course staff with questions relating to the tournament
What is Speedgolf?
Check out this brief YouTube Introductory video. To see what the pros can do, watch all-time great Christopher Smith play one of the greatest golf rounds ever: 4-under par at the renowned Bandon Dunes course in 53 min!
No Speedgolf experience required to participate in this great event. Tournament director and professional Speedgolfer Brad Kearns, in association with the Speedgolf USA organization, are committing to promoting the sport and welcoming new participants.
You will want sufficient fitness to run ~5.5 miles on this 18-hole course. The latest-starting amateurs should complete the round in 90 minutes (really a fast walk pace, assuming plenty of straight shots), while the top pros will complete the course in a stunning ~40 minutes and shoot in the 70s. It's a sight to behold. You will never look at the sport the same way again - hit. run. repeat. - Speedgolf!
Bing Maloney Golf Course
Bing Maloney is a nicely maintained public course in South Sacramento, site of Brad Kearns's Guinness World Record for the fastest single hole of golf ever played (500-yard minimum). On May 8th on the 503-yard 9th hole, Brad played in 1 min, 40 seconds, scoring a 6.
All divisions will play Bing Maloney from the white tees, 6,297 yards, 69.7 rating, 120 slope. You will find very nicely maintained greens and some difficult holes requiring length and/or accuracy. The course is flat with minimal distance between tees, setting up for some fast running times.
Bing Maloney Golf Course is located conveniently off Interstate-5 in South Sacramento, 20 min from SMF airport, (stay in the Westin Sacramento, nice spot on the river!), or a quick 5-hour drive from LA! Come out and play Speedgolf!
- Strategize to play fast but also score well. One minute and one stroke are the same, so take the time to hit good shots but don't dawdle like in "slow golf".
- Carry your own clubs, maximum 7. Use a small bag or note some people carry just 1, 2, or 3 clubs and no bag to run faster!
- Search a bit for a lost ball and then just drop one anywhere along the line of flite no closer to the hole, with one-stroke penalty
Same as regular golf with a few key exceptions:
- Keep the flagstick in!
- A drop is allowed anywhere along the line of flite of any ball hit O.B., into hazard, or lost. Take a one-stroke penalty and carry on.
- Players catching slower players ahead have priority (unlike regular golf!). That's right, yell "fore" and hit your shot. Player who is caught must graciously step aside and allow catching player to pass freely, then resume play when safe.
- Since the pace is so hectic, you simply yell your player # and your score to a volunteer on each hole. Your score will be tabulated for you at the finish. Keep track of your own score
- "Spirit of Speedgolf" is the players code of honor. You must rake your traps, fix your ballmarks, keep your own score on each hole and report it, not endanger other players, and try to adhere to Rules of Golf as close as possible, knowing that Speedgolf might prevent a perfect interpretation.
Event details and schedule
Tee times begin with professional competitors at 8am, with players following in order specified by tournament host, based on self-reported pre-event predicted finish time, at 5-minute intervals. Give an honest account of your expected time based on your Speedgolf experience, your golfing skill (hint: better players play faster, duh), and your running fitness (e.g. 10k time). If you are seeded #20, you will tee off at 9:40am (100 minutes after #1 player tees off).
The Bing Maloney driving range, putting green, and chipping area will be open for practice that morning. There is a restroom with changing area. There is a cafe with a nice menu for after your round.
- Pre-event practice rounds - pay normal greens fees at Bing, including 5 bucks in the final hour of sunlight
- Expect a modest 5-deep purse for the top performers, with more info coming via email
Snail Mail Registration: Send a check for your entry fee (amateur $60, pro $75) and the provide following details: Name, email, emergency contact, and predicted finish time