Hillsborough, North Carolina is no ordinary small, southern town. Its scenic beauty and graceful architecture spanning three centuries, provide an incredible location for a road race. Hillsborough continues to host numerous successful races, including the Little River Trail runs, Got GRIT 5K race, and the Camp Chestnut Ridge Trail races. It has however, been many years since Hillsborough has hosted a longer distance race.
Mack Orthodontics and Hillsborough Running Club are very pleased to present the 4th Annual Historic Hillsborough Half Marathon and 5K road races. Both the half marathon and 5K routes have been designed to showcase many of Hillsborough’s historic sites, and scenic routes.
Each year the event logo/medal show one of the fabulous views around Hillsborough. In 2016, the Old Courthouse, in 2017 the Occoneechee Speedway track, and in 2018 the scenic Riverwalk. 2018 feature will be announced in January.
1. Run past many historic sites in Hillsborough: Old Orange County Courthouse, Burwell School, Margaret Lane Cemetery, Occoneechee Indian Village
2. Half Marathon runners will run one lap of the Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail, the only surviving track from NASCAR's inaugural 1949 season
3. Enjoy running on Churton Street, and on Hillsborough's River Walk, part of the Mountains to Sea trail
- There will be custom medals for all finishers in both the half marathon and 5K
- T-shirts (male and female cut) and youth sizes to all participants registering by September 21st. We cannot guarantee t-shirts to every runner registering after this date. Runners registering during packet pick-up we will receive a t-shirt on a first come, first served basis.
- Note: for female sizing - you may want to order a size or two larger than you would normally, they did run small in 2016/17/18.
Packet pick-up dates, times and locations are as follows:
- 4.00-7.00pm, Wednesday, 2nd October: Fleet Feet, Carrboro
- 4.00-7.00pm, Thursday, 3rd October: Fleet Feet, Durham
- 1.00pm to 5.00pm, Saturday 5th October: Eno River Farmers Market Pavilion, Hillsborough
- 5.30am to 6.30am, Race day - do not leave it too late. Will close at 6.30am sharp
Awards to the overall top three male and female winners, top three male and female masters (40+), and top three males and females in each of the following age groups.
Half Marathon age groups are as follows: 19 & under; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-80; 80+
5K age groups are as follows: 9 and under; 10-12; 13-15; 16-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-80; 80+