The Share a Smile Triathlon is an annual fundraising event for the whole family. This year marks the 15th anniversery of this annual event.
Starting at the Scera pool, this sprint triathlon encourages children, novices, experts, and team relays to join in on the action. All funds raised from this event sponsor needed dental care for the homeless and poor in Utah County and abroad.
The race will be held on August 27th, 2016 and registration is open. Entries will be limited to 400 participants, so register early. Individual entry fees are $65, Half/Novice division fees are $45, and team relay fees are $100. The child participant registration fees are $30. Participants can register at www.shareasmile.net.
Event details and schedule
Just a few last minute items to help answer the most commonly asked questions.
- Packet pick-up will be held Friday August 26 at the Food and Care Coalition (299 E 900 S Provo UT 84606) from 7 AM-7 PM. You can also pick up your shirt at this time. This year, if you pick up your packet the day before, you can bypass the check-in line the morning of the event and just get your leg/arm marked. This will save you waiting in line, so we highly recommend you pick up your packet the day before.
- Check in begins at 6:15 AM on Saturday for those who do not check in on Friday. We plan to start at 7:00 AM so plan to arrive with enough time to check in before then.
- We will begin first with the children’s race, starting at 7:00 AM. They will swim across the pool and get out on the other side. After they have finished their swim we will begin the adult race. Parents participating in the race will be able to watch their child swim but may not be able to see the rest of the children’s race. All children participating in the children’s race must have a responsible adult present.
- The south side parking lot will be roped off for bike check in and holding. Non participants will not be allowed in this area (except for the parent of a child participating in the children’s route). This is for your safety as well as the protection of your bikes and personal belongings. 723 S will be closed off to traffic.
- The Scera Pool is 25 yards long. You will line up according to your speed. You will swim up lane 1, then down lane 1, up lane 2 then down lane 2, then up lane 3 etc, you will finish and get out after coming down lane 8. (In other words you are swimming in a zig zag across the pool). A new swimmer will enter the pool every 20 seconds. If you need to pass you will tap the foot of the person whom you want to pass to let them know. Then you can pass them at the wall. You may only pass at the wall (this is for yours and others safety, to avoid head on collisions and stitches). Anyone passing anywhere other than the wall will be immediately disqualified. If your foot is tapped you must wait at the wall while the person behind you passes. It is important for you to know how long it takes you to complete the swim so you can line up with people going your same speed. This helps everyone!
- Only participants may be in the fenced in pool area. Spectators and fans may watch from outside the gate.
- If for some reason you cannot finish the race-you must let a volunteer know so we don’t worry and go looking for you.
- Be safe! It’s more important that you arrive in one piece than that you win. Obey all traffic rules and instructions from volunteers. Orem City is allowing us to use the Scera Pool, please respect the facility and the life guards. Orem City is also providing traffic control on the bike route at the intersections of Center & 800 E and at 800 E & 800 S—they are volunteering their time so be sure to say thank you and obey their instructions.
- This is a great race for every kind of athlete! It’s a lot of fun and raises money for a good cause. We are not professional race coordinators, so be patient with us—remember we are just out to try and do some good in the world. One of the best things about our race in the past has been the good sportsmanship we have had. Everyone cheers each other on. We hope to have that same atmosphere this year as well! Please watch out for one another and help keep each other safe.
- Awards will be presented at the end of the race. There are divisions according to gender, age and which race you participated in. We will have food, drawings for prizes (you must be present to win), displays, and lots of fun. So stay around to see who wins and have a good time!
If you have any questions feel free to e-mail us at email@example.com. See you at the race!