Running Start is an 8 week training program for walkers and beginning runners who want to learn to run, build their endurance and complete a 5K (3.1 mile) race. PGRC's Women’s Distance Festival 5k and Men's 5k on Sunday, August 17, 2019 is the targeted graduation race. The program is coached by RRCA Certified Adult Running Coaches.
Participants: Running Start is open to beginning runners and/or runners who are returning to the sport after many years. If you have completed a 5k or greater distance race (8k, 10k, etc.) in the past 6 to 12 months or you are already running 3 or more miles without walking, we encourage you to register for PGRC's Fall 10k training which will begin in late September/early October.
Program Structure: The training consists of three (3) group workouts per week. Participants train as a group with head coaches and pace leaders on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings.
- Saturday Morning Training Run: begins at 7:30am. Depending on the temperatures, we may change the start time to 7:00am. The Saturday morning training run will begin at Herbert Wells Ice Arena in College Park. Training will alternate between the race course or the Northeast Branch trail.
- Tuesday Evening Training Run: begins at 7:00pm. Training will be held at Watkins Regional Park in Kettering, MD during weeks 1 through 4. During weeks 5, 6 and 7, training will be held at the Kehoe Track, University of Maryland, College Park. Week 8 will be held on the race course.
- Thursday Evening Training Run: begins at 7:00pm. Five of the training runs will be held at the Herbert Wells Ice Arena in College Park or Watkins Park. Three training runs will be held at PGCR Fun Runs.
Program Requirements: men and women ages 18 and up with the ability to walk and willingness to run.
Membership Status: Active PGRC club membership. If you are not a member, you will be prompted to join PGRC during registration.
Medical Clearance: If you are under medical care, have a medical condition or have not exercised recently, we recommend that you secure a clearance from your doctor before participating in this or any training program.
Required Supplies and Equipment
- Water bottles (bring to every session)
- Proper running shoes
Suggested Supplies and Equipment
- Hat with a visor (Saturday morning training)
- Sunglasses (Saturday Morning training)
- Proper sports bras (women)
- Watch, stop watch or an app for timing purposes.
Note: The Women's Distance Festival 5k and Men's 5k Race registration is not included in program fee.