2019 Race At Your Own Pace to #ShadeOutDM
DM - Degenerative Myelopathy (also known as the Canine version of ALS / Lou Gehrig's Disease) is a genetic disease that can affect over 100 breeds of dogs! It is caused by a degeneration of white matter in the spinal cord (the fibers that transmit movement commands from the brain to the legs) and typically occurs between 8-14 years of age (while some may develop the symptoms even sooner). It presents first with the loss of coordination of one of the hind legs and over time will typically worsen and result in paralysis of both hind legs. Most dogs will become incontinent (both bowels and urine - which can lead to Urinary Tract Infections), and over time, this debilitating disease will progress to paralysis in the front legs, organ failure and respiratory failure. DM is OFTEN misdiagnosed as many vets do not know about DM. It CAN be PREVENTED by genetic testing prior to breeding & making well educated choices!!! The numbers of PUPS that are developing it now are GROWING!!! NOW is the TIME to SPEAK for the PUPS!!!
- WALK or RUN to help get the word out! We MUST speak for the PUPS that are forced to take this horrid DM Journey while it CAN be PREVENTED!
- You can participate VIRTUALLY too! Register for the event & choose a WARRIOR TEAM... we would love to have your pics posted of you walking in your city during the same time on our #ShadeOutDM facebook page!
This will be a PUP Friendly GLOW WALK at SUNSET to dark.
Online Registration is preferred. On-site registration may be available. If you need assistance registering online email email@example.com
- Early bird pricing ends on September 30th, 2019. Register early to save!
- All participants Early bird (through Sept.30): $10 each
- All participants Oct. 1-Nov.7: $15
- All participants Day of Event: $20
Participants that Register ON-LINE prior to: Oct.31st will receive a Bib (Race Number) upon arrival. Proceeds from this Event will go to help us Raise more Awareness (in addition to constantly having more awareness materials printed & shipped, many Events that we attend often charge us a fee to participate as well). Direct donations may be made thru the SHADEOUTDM.ORG website.