5th and FINAL Running for Research
5K Run/ 3K Walk
The event will take place on Sunday, November 10th at Meadowbrook Park in Chevy Chase MD sponsored by The Chiari Group. Please join us running or walking in this beautiful setting to raise funds for much-needed pain research for Chiari Malformation.
Announcing our Grant to Boston Children’s Hospital!
We are excited to share that we will be donating our hard-earned funds to Boston Children’s Hospital, the nation’s #1 children’s hospital for neurology and neurosurgery.
Our funding will be used in two ways:
· To organize a yearly Chiari Day, which will bring patients, families, and medical professionals together to exchange ideas, share insights, and discuss the latest research developments.
· For a collaborative research effort between the Neurosurgery and Pain Research teams at Boston Children’s to gather data and better understand pain associated with Chiari and how to manage it.
We anticipate awarding a grant of $150,000 to Boston Children’s in early 2020. This grant to Boston Children’s holds great promise for improving the quality of life for those with Chiari. Join us in reaching our goal making this grant as generous as possible.
Many thanks for your support!
Wendy and Cass and The Chiari Group Board
What is Chiari Malformation?
Chiari Malformation is a serious neurological condition in which the brain protrudes through the opening at the base of the skull and crowds the spinal cord. The resulting compression can cause painful headaches, muscle weakness, dizziness, double vision and episodes of stopped breathing. No two people with Chiari have the same set of symptoms.
Chiari Malformation is:
- A condition affecting 1 in 1,000 people
- A condition where sufferers look healthy but suffer with immense chronic, debilitating, pain
- A condition which often causes suffering for years before being correctly diagnosed
- A condition which is largely unknown by many in the healthcare community. For those who are more familiar with Chiari, there is rarely consensus on the most effective treatment plan
- A condition with more questions than answers for patients, families, and healthcare professionals
- A condition in need of further research!
All funds raised will go directly to fund pain research.
The Chiari Group is a 501(c)(3) created to support Chiari Malformation pain research.
Event details and schedule
9:00 Race starts
Parking is available at the park. Light breakfast will be served.