Important Update: The Botanical Boogie 5k and 1 Mile Fun Run is now a VIRTUAL race!
The Junior League of Douglas County is committed to keeping the community and our runners safe. After monitoring the COVID-19 situation, we have decided to cancel the Botanical Boogie on March 28th, 2020 and take the race VIRTUAL following recommendations from the CDC! While we are disappointed we cannot gather in person, we can continue to show our support and spirit online and continue to support this great cause!
The Botanical Boogie 1 Mile Fun Run and 5k will be accepting virtual runners through March 31st, 2020. Because we are celebrating 30 years of community service and in lieu of the physical race, we ask everyone to take a selfie while walking or exercising for 30 minutes and tag us in your posts and use the hashtags #30for30 #botanicalboogie5k!
If you are still interested in competing for the trophies and medals, simply take a picture of your fitness tracker showing your time and post to our Botanical Boogie FB page (https://www.facebook.com/botanicalboogie/). We will be handing out race bags, t-shirts, and awards at a later date TBD.
The Junior League of Douglas County is a non-profit organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism, to developing the potential of women, and to improving the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Our primary focus is literacy initiatives in our community. By emphasizing the foundation of literacy, we are helping to prepare the children to enter school prepared to learn, to be enthusiastic about learning, and to be strong students.
Some of our community placements include:
Book Brigade program (distributing books and talking about the importance of literacy to 2nd graders).
Breakfast with Santa program (providing pictures with Santa, gifts, and stockings to all 144 students enrolled in Douglas County HeadStart).
Participation in GA Pre-K week and Read Across America Week promoting literacy and the love of reading to Pre-K age students and spreading the importance of early childhood education!
Did you know?
- By age five, the average child from a family with low income recognizes only 9 letters of the alphabet, compared to 22 letters for a child from a middle-class family. (The Hero Effect)
- Students not reading on grade level by the end of third grade are four times more likely to drop out of high school than their peers. (The Hero Effect)
- In middle-income neighborhoods the ratio of books per child is 13 to 1, in low-income neighborhoods, the ratio is 1 age-appropriate book for every 300 children. (The Ferst Foundation)
- By 3 years of age, there is a 30 million word gap between children from the wealthiest and poorest families. (Reading is Fundamental)
- $25 adults through March 31st, 2020. T-shirts guaranteed.
- Children 12 and under - 1 mile fun run: $15 through March 31st, 2020.
Other Important Info:
- Medals will be given to the Top 3 Male and Female runners in each age category. Remember to post on our Botanical Boogie FB page.
- T-shirt and swag bags to be given out at a date TBD.
Post your selfies April 1-15th and support the JLDC! Tag our Botanical Boogie Facebook Page.