The Hilly Urban Ruck Race of Tennessee (HURT) will be held Saturday, April 4, 2020 and will benefit the Chattanooga Area Food Bank.
This challenging 14 mile course will take racers around north Chattanooga in a way that few have experienced before, gaining nearly 2,000 feet of elevation while utilizing pavement and trails. All races will be required to carry 25lbs in their rucksack/backpack (not including food/water that will be consumed during the race) at all times. The event will start/finish at Renaissance Park next to the grass hill and will be a test of strength-endurance and mental fortitude. The course will be open (no road closures) but there will be volunteers every 1-2 miles to makes sure you stay on course. All racers will also receive a detailed turn-by-turn course description at check-in. It will be encouraged that everyone takes a photo of this so it’s handy on your smartphone to periodically look at, if needed..
This event will be unique due to it’s staggered start times. Everyone, regardless of age or gender, will have the opportunity to win this race. The older you are the earlier you will start giving you a head start among the rest of the competition. Regardless if you start first or last, you will have to combine rucking with some running if you want to have chance to win. This should make for some exciting ruck racing.
Here are the Categories and start times:
Age Group Start Wave Time
40+ Female 7:45am
15-39 Female 7:50am
45+ Male 8:00am
15-44 Male 8:05am
ROTC Cadets 8:05am
First Responders 8:05am (regardless of age)
Active Duty Military 8:05am (regardless of age)
We are partnering with the Chattanooga Area Food Bank to help fight hunger in our area. It is highly recommended that you bring non-perishable food items to the event to donate. We'll have two barrels and want to make sure they are filled. Just bring as much food as you can and drop in the barrel prior to your start time, or pack the food items in your rucksack for the required race weight and donate after you finish. Here are some food items that the Chattanooga Area Food Bank are always in need of: canned fruit/vegetables, cornmeal, flour, grits, pasta, rice, canned meats, dry beans, fruit/vegetable juice, oats, peanut butter, and soups
1. The race will begin and finish at Renaissance Park, 100 Manufacturers Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37405.
2. Day of race Check-in will be from 6:45am - 7:15am under the outdoor pavilion next to the hill.
3. A brief meeting will be held from 7:15am - 7:30am to go over some specifics and answer any last minute questions
4. NO RACE-DAY REGISTRATION!!!
5. Good sportsmanship is required at all times
6. The Hilly Urban Ruck Race of Tennessee (HURT) will be comprised of civilians, any member of Armed Forces currently serving, Veterans, ROTC students, and First Responders
7. All participants are required to carry 25lbs in their rucksack/backpack at all times (in addition to food and water that will be consumed during the race)
8. Packs will be weighed at the start. No items such as rocks, or other weight that can be discarded along the course, shall be used as weight (ruck plates recommended)
9. There will NOT be any Aid Stations along the course, participants must carry their own food/water/etc. with them at all times.
10. No other means of transportation are allowed, just rucking/walking or running with your rucksack/backpack.
11. No outside assistance is allowed, if anyone is caught receiving assistance they will be disqualified from the race (This includes being handed a bottle of water, or energy bar, etc. by a friend)
12. No Refunds
13. This will be an open course event so there will be no road closures. All participants are required to obey all traffic rules and use caution when crossing roads, there will be volunteers at most road crossings. Volunteers will also be placed along the course every 1-2 miles to eliminate any course cutting and to keep track of progress during the event
14. All participants will be given detailed turn-by-turn directions of the course route along with a detailed map
15. The first person, male or female, to complete the course and cross the finish line will be declared the overall winner