Please join us for our VIRTUAL 5K as we share the important message that Domestic Violence has no place in our community.
Covid has impacted us all in one way or another, domestic violence numbers have sadly only continued to rise since stay at home orders have been mandated across the country. Our task force works hard to support local victims and their families. Although we are not able to host our 14th annual Purple Light Nights tree lighting, 5K and BBQ this year, there are ways you and your family can support victims:
- Register and walk or run this virtual 5K anytime in September to receive a window cling and ribbon from our task force as a thank you and to kick off National DV awareness month which is in October. Remember to snap pictures and post them using the hashtag #PLN2020
- Our team will also be watching for the most purple, best dressed so remember to use the hashtag and send in the picture for your chance to win $50! To be entered into the contest, please email pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org no later then September 30th, 2020 for your chance to win the $50 prize.
Participating in our 5K is super easy:
- Plan your training
- Share with your family and friends so they can virtually do it with you.
- Plan your purple outfit, wear as much purple as you can! The more the better!
- Walk or Run your 5K anytime during the month of September
- Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #PLN2020, email pictures to email@example.com by 9/30/20 to possibly win $50.
Other ways to support this cause:
- During the month of October- shine a purple light in your home or business. Shining a light shares a message of support and unity that domestic violence has no place in our community.
- Donate money.
- Post pictures on social media using the hashtag #PLN2020 dressed in purple while you and your friends and families train for the 5k.
- Follow us on Instagram at: purple_light_nights or on Facebook at: Purple Light Nights. We will be highlighting as many folks as we can along with sharing stories and our mission to stop domestic violence.
- Sponsor a purple lights tree in Covington around City Hall where your name or business name will be proudly displayed for the entire month of October. If interested please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. Tree sponsorship starts as low as $100!
A little about us: our story begins in 2005 when the Covington Domestic Violence Task Force launched the first annual "Purple Light Nights Campaign" (PLN). The purpose is to shine a purple light in every front porch or business window through the month of October to: Remember the victims who lost their lives to domestic abuse; to Honor the survivors; and give Hope to those still living with abuse. Purple is the symbolic color of domestic violence and recognized nationally. It is a simple thing everyone can do but it also sends a powerful message that domestic violence has NO place in our community. Currently there are cities and counties in 32 states and Canada that participate by holding a PLN event. (All Proceeds go to provide direct services to victims and education in our local community.)