Big Sur Land Trust's 2021 Race for Open Space is a hybrid event taking place over three weeks. There is a solo race component and a trail mile challenge component. During the three-week period you can choose to race designated courses, run/walk as many miles as you can wherever you are, or both! Let's all see what our community is truly capable of.
Use a tracking app like Strava, Garmin, MapMyRun, or others to log your activities. Submit your course times and daily mileage for a chance at prizes and recognition. (Note to all the speedy people: There will be no double-dipping for first-place prizes.) This is an honor system, and we trust you are truly running/walking the miles that you submit. Top finishers will be asked to share a screenshot of their activities to confirm their placement.
If you wish to access Land Trust properties for the race component or the trail mile challenge component, you will need to decide which property/properties to access, select a recommended course, and select a date/time. Virtual registration or registration with one Land Trust course is $30 ($35 after April 4), and each additional Land Trust course you add on within the same registration is $10. Youth 12 and under receive half-price registration. Adventure Courses are priced separately at $50 each. You may change your selected date/time no less than 48 hours in advance.
We will be hosting a virtual after-party on Zoom (date and time TBA) with raffle prizes. We will also award recognition for the following categories:
- Top total mileage by gender category
- Top race time by gender category: Glen Deven Ranch 2.4mi
- Top race time by gender category: Mitteldorf Preserve 4mi
- Top race time by gender category: Mitteldorf Preserve 8mi
- Top race time by gender category: Palo Corona to San Jose Creek Trail 9mi
- Top race time by gender category: Palo Corona to Mitteldorf Preserve 21mi
- (Youth division for all the above, ages 12 and under)
- Top overall fundraiser
- Top fundraising team
- Photo taken during an activity: "Find Your Wonder"
- Photo taken during an activity: "Social Distancing"
- Photo taken during an activity: "Animal Sightings"
- Photo taken during an activity: "Tiny Treasures"