Loppet Nordic Racing’s newest program!
LNR TOAST (Twenties on a Ski Team) was created to introduce young adult, intermediate to advanced, cross-country skiers in the Twin Cities to one another by providing training opportunities with the goal of racing at larger citizen events, such as the City of Lakes Loppet and the American Birkebeiner. The group also has weekly post-training social gatherings to foster friendships and a sense of team camaraderie.
This is primarily a training/fitness group, with no formal coaching. This is NOT a suitable program for beginners. Those looking to learn how to ski or advance their ski skills should check out the Group or Private ski lessons for brand new skiers, Loppet Ski Club for beginner and/or recreational skiers, or Loppet Nordic Racing Adult programs for beginner racers to advanced racers. This group will make you a better skier by focusing on improving your overall aerobic fitness and ski specific strength, while the other groups mentioned above will make you a better skier by focusing on improving your ski technique.
This group is for you if you are 21-29 years old, you have a solid knowledge of cross-country ski technique, and you identify with one or more of the statements below…
- You are new to the Twin Cities and looking to meet other young adults in the area who have a passion for cross-country skiing like yourself.
- 'You are from the area but are hoping to expand your local circle of ski enthusiast friends.
- 'You are in “ski racing retirement” after high school/college and need a great group of individuals to restore your drive and keep you accountable in your training.
- 'You’ve been hitting the local ski trails and citizen races alone and know it would be more fun to do so with a “team” of people your own age.
The group is open ONLY to cross-country skiers ages 21 – 29 years old.
Individuals must be confident with skate/classic cross-country ski technique and be ready to work hard and have fun at all practices. It is recommended that all participants have a familiarity with or background in nordic ski racing and/or ski team experience in some sense (i.e. High School Team, Community Club Team, College NCAA Team, College Club Team, completed multiple Citizen’s races, etc.), as there will be no formal coaching in this group.
Proceeds from the Loppet Nordic Racing Programs benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
The focus of training will be ski specific overall, but may also include running, biking, bounding, pole-hiking, and/or rollerskiing.
Weekly post-training social gatherings will foster group bonding, and optional weekend workouts/get togethers may be planned periodically.
All participants are expected to support the greater Loppet community through volunteering (Trail projects, Loppet events, or youth programs) when available throughout the season. This also helps keep the program costs low.
The program runs year-round and meets at the following dates and times:
2021 Spring/Summer Session
- Tuesday Strength: May 4th – September 13th, 6:15pm - 8:00pm.
- Thursday Dryland: May 6th – September 16th, 6:00pm - 8:00pm.
2021 – 2022 Fall/Winter Session
- Tuesday Strength: October 5th – November 30th, 6:15pm - 8:00pm.
- Thursday Dryland: October 7th – December 2nd, 6:00pm - 8:00pm.
- Tuesday Skiing: December 7th – March 8th, 6:30pm - 8:00pm.
- Thursday Skiing: December 9th – March 10th, 6:30pm - 8:00pm.
General group training plans will be created by an experienced Loppet Coach, and then led by the group coordinator. Weight room guidance and/or ski video and technique analysis may be provided by a guest coach, at some point.
The program’s home base will be The Trailhead in Theodore Wirth Park, Minneapolis. Other locations are subject to be added.
All strength sessions will occur at The Trailhead.
Program participants will have access to the following perks:
- Discounted entries to Loppet events
- Race wax recommendation emails before major Midwest ski races
- Podiumwear custom storefront for optional uniform purchases
- Private FB page to share training/social information
- Potential Fall Training Camp (COVID-19 dependent)
- Fun weekly social gatherings with really cool teammates