Join Dexter High School and Skyline High Schools' National Honor Society's First Annual Sprout Love Spring Fling 5k. The students have set a goal to raise $5,000 for the Sprout Love Initiative. The school that raises the most money will win a trophy to be displayed at their shcool.
The Sprout Love Initiative at the Cancer Support Community raises funds for a Financial Assistance Fund that covers the basic living expenses for individuals experiencing financial hardship due to cancer and its treatment.
The Duke Cancer Institute found that 42% of participants reported a significant or catastrophic financial burden due to their cancer.
- 68% cut back on leisure activities
- 46% reduced spending on food and clothing
- 46% used savings to defray out-of-pocket expenses
- To save money, 20% took less than the prescribed amount of medication, 19% partially filled prescriptions, and 24% avoided filling prescriptions altogether
The Sprout Love Financial Assistance Fund launched in 2019; the fund has granted $175,000 to 70 families experiencing financial hardship due to cancer and its treatment, including:
- $83,000 toward rent and mortgage
- $31,000 toward car payments and insurance
- $25,000 toward utilities
- $13,000 toward phone and internet
- $10,000 toward groceries and gasoline
- $13,000 toward other necessities, including home and auto repairs, childcare, and more
100% of contributions to the Sprout Love Spring Fling 5k will go o the Sprout Love Financial Assistance Fund to directly address significant financial hardship by providing a bridge for families undergoing cancer treatment.