Welcome to the inaugural New Year's Day HAIR OF THE DOG Run/Walk, benefiting the Humane Society of Southern Arizona. The HOTD is sure to become a New Year’s Day tradition, not to be missed. And for so many good reasons!
- For those that stayed-up to ring in the New Year, no problem: the HOTD does not start until 11am!
- For those looking for an 8k (5-mile) PR: cool temps and a mostly flat course will make for fast running!
- For those kicking-off New Year’s resolutions for a fit 2019: this is the perfect opportunity to challenge yourself in a beautiful setting with a supportive community of family and friends!
- For those seeking to squeeze in as much fun as possible before heading back to work after the Holidays, there's Live Music, Exercise Endorphins, Swag Schwag, and Hair of the Dog -- because the party’s not over yet!
- And for those that enjoy spending time with their canine companions: Party with your Pooch and do the 1-mile Doggie Dash!
The HOTD is locally produced by Run Tucson (RunTucson.net), the event production company for the largest run/walk events in Southern Arizona. We produce numerous events in partnership with the 501(c)3 Southern Arizona Roadrunners (azroadrunners.org/races/detail/mmd) and we are co-founders of Meet Me Concepts (meetmeconcepts.com), including the local Meet Me at Maynards and Meet Me Wednesdays.
To promote our mission of Making Tucson Better through Running, Run Tucson advocates for Health & Fitness, Enhancing Community Engagement, and Promoting the Local Economy. In addition, we make significant contributions to worthy charities, providing over $250,000 to local organizations over the years.
Runners and walkers of all abilities are invited to participate in the HOTD. We think you will love our 8-kilometer (5 mile) course. And also the 1-Mile / Doggie Dash course, which will feature beautiful desert-scape and lovely views of the Catalina Mountains, as participants cruise a loop around Udall Park.
The Start/Finish staging area is the Laszlo Veres Amphitheater in the lovely Udall Park. 8k participants traverse the Park before connecting with the brand new landscaped path along Sabino Canyon Road. Here you’ll find lots of wide-open space, views of the Santa Ritas to the south and awe-inspiring views of the Santa Catalinas to the north. At 0.8 miles the 8k course turns west onto the Loop Path along the Pantano River Wash. Then the course ... is a Surprise!
The HOTD strives to be the capstone of your winter holiday in Tucson, and a pre-eminent fitness event. Whether you’re pining for a PR or plan to stroll the course as a dog, a hare, Father Time, or Baby New Year, there’s something for everyone. Here’s what’s included in your event entry:
- A fun, fast 8k on a beautiful course, OR
A 1-mile loop around the lovely desert-scape of Udall Park with or without your pooch
- Professional Chip timing in the 8k, with fast, accurate results from Roadrunner Race Timing
- A race-bib for each human entrant
- Limited Edition (LE) Poster art: collectible, hand-numbered 12x18 poster
- An Event finisher's glass!
- The Dragoon Brewing Beer Garden! We are very proud to feature this premiere local brewery!
- and a Beverage ticket for all!
- Live Music!
- A tasty Tucson-local treat!
- Doggie rewards for the canine athletes!
- An Event Expo
- Awards for 8k top overall finishers and tops in each Age Group
- An awesome Fleet Feet After-Party! The party continues directly across Tanque Verde, with more beverages and snacks, raffles for awesome prizes, and great in-store discounts at Fleet Feet Sports!
- Bi-ped fb photos compliments of the GOATographer! And also a dedicated Doggie photographer!
- An Unforgettable Race Day Experience!
For an additional fee, anyone can purchase the print-to-order Race Tee, featuring our oh-so-cool HOTD logo. But if you already have more race tees than your closet can hold, you can save money and pass on the tee.
Event will be held rain or shine. No refunds. 3-hour time limit.